Wednesday, December 3, 2008

I'm Baaack

I'm Baaack



And better than ever. Maybe. Sort of. It's finals time, so I'll still be sparce around here, but I hope to post once or twice a week. Or more. And to those who sent me e-mails, I'm a little backlogged so forgive me if a take a bit to answer them. Today I'm going to turn the floor over to some vintage Ladies Home Journal articles I got from microfilm. Click the Read More! link to take a look at them.



Click on the images to head over to their flickr page. Above the image there should be an icon of a magnifying glass. Click that to access multiple sizes of it. Large or orginal should be enough to read these.

The first article is "How to Dress Well and Cheaply." It's from the January 1884 edition of Ladies Home Journal and is that paragraph in the middle of the page. I liked this one since the advice contained in it is as good now as it was over 100 years ago. Also note that the black dress was considered a goto even before the little black dress was coined. While I certainly don't exactly follow all of the advice in there--it just doesn't quie suit me-- I don't believe I could think of a bad thing to say about anyone who did follow it. They probably would look quite chic.

how to dress well and cheaply advertisement ladies home journal jan 1884

The second article is Be Yourself from the February 1936 edition of Ladies Home Journal. You'll have to go up to orginal size on this one. It's a bit hard to make out, but it can be done. Natuarally, I champion this article very much which talks about the wonders of standing out versus standing in and bemoans the group clone looks. The prose is also very well done; it has a good upbeat tempo to it. Inspiring, encouraging, and once again, it's timeless advice.

be yourself ladies home journal Feb 1936



That's it for now, chickadees. More stuff to come soon.

Working like a dog,

Ivy Frozen

No comments: